Sunday, December 21, 2008

Egg&Bacon Pie

A true pie, not some nancy-boy, girls'-blouse quiche*
Get you some puff pastry, frozen or home made I won't judge you
10-12 slices of good bacon
12 eggies + 1 more - a bakers' dozen
salt & pepper
Herbs from the garden - I generally use chives & parsley but whatever you have that goes with eggs will be fine - chop 'em fine

Pre-heat the oven to 215c (419f)
Line your pie dish with baking paper and then pastry (really, it makes it so much easier to get the pie out in the end), remember to keep some for the lid. (I use my lovely Le Creuset’s Terrine because it makes a lovely high log of a pie.)
The original recipe called for you to "gently cook the bacon" but I've never bothered and it always turns out just fine & dandy.
So, line the base of the pastry crust with bacon & carefully break in a layer of eggs. A crank of pepper and a sprinkle of herbs then another layer of bacon and eggs (keep 1 for later) until you've run out. I try to end with a layer of bacon.
Pop on the lid, crimp & tidy the edges and brush over with the last egg. (I also try to use a little leftover pastry for some pretties on top.)
Whack in the oven for about 30 - 40 minutes - after about 10 minutes, turn down the heat to 200c (392f).
Now here's the clever bit, after the 40 minutes, turn off the oven and let the pie cool in there! It's a way of making sure your eggs are fully set.
When totally cold, slice through and marvel at the pretty patterns the egg whites, yolks, bacon & herbs make in each slice.

3 comments:

  1. Squeal of delight!
    You set up an annex to your DancingMorganMouse blog!
    Thanks for the recipe and the explanation.
    I've never seen anything like it! It reminds me a teensy bit of an Amish Spring Pie by Marcia Adams.
    And I guess you eat it cold because this is Yuletide in the Southern Hemisphere.
    BTW, I am completely green with envy over your Le Creuset Terrine. Yes, I'm rather like the color of your blogskin!
    ;o)
    - Lee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lee, you do indeed eat it cold because it is indeed SUMMER down under!
    I'll try to get a pic of a slice before it's gobbled away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The terrine was a wedding gift, one of the few things we (well, I) actually asked for & received!

    ReplyDelete

Bla